Newton and Noss Village Hall
A beautiful, historic wedding and event venue in the South Hams
History of Noss Village Hall
The Village Hall is Grade II listed and was originally built as a Chapel of Ease in 1839, together with a small burial ground, the parish church of St Peter at Stoke being deemed too far away from the village for practical reasons – but still used once a month. To mark the occasion the churchwardens at the time presented one of the bells from the old church to the new chapel, where it still hangs in the bellcote today.
In 1882 the chapel ceased to be used after services were transferred to the new St Peter’s Church in Noss Mayo, and it then became the Noss Mayo village school, which had by then outgrown its original site, now the Tilley Institute (which is also believed to be the site of an older Chapel of Ease built in the 15c dedicated to St John the Baptist). The school continued until 1959 when the schools of Newton and Noss were combined in Newton Ferrers.
In 1960 it became the Newton & Noss Village Hall and continues to serve the community to this day.
In 1990 alterations, including a stage, were made to the hall, and an extension (The Revelstoke Room) was built to the rear, which together with an open courtyard and play area in the grounds, provided accommodation for St Francis Preschool and Playgroup and was used for that purpose until 2014.
Although accessible directly from the Village Hall through the stage area, the Revelstoke Room does have its own entrance from outside to the rear of the hall. It also has its own self-contained facilities and outdoor areas and is available for separate use when the hall is being used for other purposes.
time = 13.4348869324